Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spring.

The temperature is finally above freezing. The sun is finally happily shining. The birds are finally chirping. And the snow is finally starting to melt.

I cannot tell you how happy I was when I walked outside this morning to discover all of this the other day. This past winter has been remarkably brutal. I remember the first time it snowed back in December; everyone was so excited, especially to have a white Christmas. But now that the nostalgia of the pretty, falling snow has subsided, I know see the snow as unpredictably annoying and just plain ugly as it lies in heaps on the sides of the street. Oh, and have I mentioned that every time I have walked outside my apartment the past two weeks, I've prayed that I would not fall on the ice that coats every side walk on this campus, fearing for the sake of my life?

Needless to say, I am OVER winter. Especially if I can't even snowboard, which is completely impossible in this flatland part of the state. So knowing that spring is on the horizon makes me ecstatic. Spring means baseball season, perfect 60s and 70s weather, long runs outside, chipper birds and curious squirrels, and most importantly, more sun!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the changing seasons. Winter is not a season I shun, but Mother Nature definitely gave all of us a little bit of a slap this winter with the harsh temperatures, high winds, and mounds of snow. The changing of winter to spring tends to symbolize a lot, especially for us seniors. It's just scary to think that the closer we get to spring, the closer we are to graduating. And that's not something I'm ready for.

With changing emotions,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers