Sunday, January 31, 2010

Picky = a bad thing?

I was reading through a random magazine at work the other day when I came across an article. It was about how picky women are nowadays. I can completely relate to this..I've had my fair share of suitors the past few years. Some I've dated, some I've kinda thrown under the bridge (to put it bluntly). I always felt bad when I ended a relationship or decided not to give a guy a chance. But my logic was this: if I didn't feel a "spark," then what was the point? Why should I pretend to have feelings for someone? I would cowardly make up an excuse and say that I just wanted to be friends (which was always true in most cases).

I thought being picky was doing me a favor. Leading me to (or back to) the right guy for me. But accordingly to this article, being picky is being selfish. Being picky is not giving a guy a chance. Being picky is downright unfair. Okay, maybe it is all three of those things. But whoever wrote this article basically said if you keep being picky throughout life, you might pass up the opportunity to be with someone really great. Which entirely may be true too. But the way she wrote it was like being alone was worse than finding the time to find someone perfect for you.

I've never been afraid of being alone and doing my own thing. And after reading the article, I felt angered. Why should we settle? If we clearly don't want to be with someone, we shouldn't. Plain and simple. Why is being so alone so scary to people? This author was in her middle 40s and still single and she said over the years she had passed guys up and now she's upset she didn't give them a chance. Stop crying about your past, lady. Pull it together.

It makes me so mad when girls feel the need to have a boyfriend just because. I don't know if it's for the status or if it's for the comfort of having someone. This author is one of those people. I realize she's older and is still alone, but no one should have to settle for someone they're not truly into, no matter what age they are.

What do you all think?

2 comments:

  1. i dont like the word "picky" but I think what is actually going on here is not settling. You are only picky in the eyes of OTHER people... it doesnt make you picky if you KNOW what you want and the type of people you enjoy being with. Its not your fault that just because you like a certain type of person, or you dont jump on the first person you see that makes you picky... your not.

    You are simply looking for the person that makes you feel good and makes you want to be with them. This is not being picky, this is being able to handle the fact that you can be single, you can have fun, and do what you gotta do. Then if you happen to meet someone and it works out then boom, ya got magic. On the otherhand you can be that person that is so insecure and always needs someone just to have someone. fail.

    Wait for the right person, otherwise you go through this stupid cycle of going out with fake ppl for the sake of going out with them. And in turn hurting more people in the process. Wait for a person you enjoy being with, dont settle, be "picky"......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thinking! Thanks for posting a comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers