Thursday, April 7, 2011

U of I = My "Vienna."

‎Slow down you crazy child,
You're so ambitious for a juvenile.
But then if you're so smart tell me why.
Are you still so afraid?
Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You better cool it off before you burn it out.
You got so much to do and only
So many hours in a day.

I was walking to class with my iPod on shuffle this afternoon and Billy Joel's "Vienna" came on. I honestly wasn't even sure what song it was at first so I curiously looked down to see. I for some reason continued listening, not knowing when I even downloaded the song. I started really paying attention to the lyrics; it was almost as if Mr. Joel himself was singing directly to me.

This semester in a nutshell describes the first verse of the song. My life has been a whirlwind. I always pictured my last semester consisting of blow off classes, day drinking, exercising every day to get in shape for graduation and summer, as well as going out as many nights as I could. However, that is far from the truth. Instead, I devoted my time to my 12 hours of class that turned out to be more busy work and attendance taking, my 20 something hours of work a week, as well as over 35 hours a week to the National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC). Some other fellow seniors probably think I'm crazy. They're probably thinking why I would voluntarily give up sleep, work instead of play, and sacrifice nights of going out to help create an advertising campaign.

But that's okay. Because I know when I look back on my last semester of college, I'll actually remember everything (okay, most of it). I'll actually have something to show and put on my resume. I'll actually be proud of something. I'll actually be proud of myself.

Back to Joel's lyrics. I've been burnt out many a times. But I also live by the quote "Better to burn out than fade away." I've learned the past four years at the University of Illinois to take every opportunity that presents itself. My motto has always been the cliche "work hard, play hard." This is a motto the industry I am going into lives by. I just figured, might as well get in the habit. I've learned that this University offers so much and so many don't take advantage of it. There is still so much more I want to do on and off this campus before I graduate, but I know that is not even physically possible. But I can still look back at my four years and smile and know that I have no regrets. I accomplished just about everything I wanted to here.

Even though I have accomplished so much, I often wonder, why am I still scared? I'm scared of the real world and all that it encompasses - the first 'real' job, real relationship commitment, the first move to my own place. I'm not lying when I say the future looks a little daunting. But I know, just like I realized my first day of college, I'll be fine. I'll figure it out.

With burn outs and accomplishments,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers