Thursday, January 14, 2010

Where is today's youth?

I visited my grade school today with my pledge daughter, Katy(who actually happened to go to the same school - small world!). I went to St. Gilbert from kindergarten to 8th grade. Let's just say, we were pretty sheltered, but I liked it. I had a graduating class of 56 and despite even that small number, we had cliques. But nevertheless, we were our own little family.

It was definitely hard moving on to a huge public school. I had amazing memories in high school, don't get me wrong, but St. Gilbert...my ROOTS are there. I am still in contact with handfuls of people I went to school with there, and 3 of them still remain my best friends to this day. I am very thankful to have had the experience at St. Gilbert, which was COMPLETELY different from that of a public school. We ate lunch in our classrooms, said prayers at the beginning and end of every day, went to church every Friday morning, wore heinous uniforms...but I look back on those years with such fondness and happiness.

I was always on the high honors - it didn't really take much to be on it. But as I conversed with one of my 8th grade teachers, Mrs. Karrigan, today, I asked her about the kids of St. Gilbert today. How much are they different? She said they have less motivation, don't really care much about school, she thinks a lot of the parents do their kids' homework. How sad...

I then noticed the honor roll tacked to a bulletin board outside her classroom. There was ONE person under high honors. And only about FIVE under honors. What?! I remember when I was there, about 30 of the 56 people in my class were on the honor roll. What is going on!?

I'm no expert. I'm no scientist. So I can't really say. But I have a feeling it has to do with technology. Back when I was in grade school, the internet was just emerging and the days of instant messaging were becoming apparent. No one had cell phones. Only the really rich kids had game systems. Now, I look at my young cousins and other young children who have cell phones, laptops, game systems. Today's youth is becoming immersed into technology, which seemingly doesn't look like a good thing.

Let's hope this isn't a trend...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers